Everyone has to deal with a clogged drain sometime or another. It’s a common if not annoying problem that can appear anywhere in your plumbing. Depending on where, you might not know how bad a clog is. It can make it more difficult to know when it’s time to call for a plumber in Sandpoint.
You may be able to figure out for yourself how bad the clog is. Check your drains or listen for unusual sounds coming from your pipes. These might be signs pointing to where the clog began. When you find it, you’ll have to figure out if you need to call a plumber or not. The following info may help you decide.
When Does a Clog Need a Pro Plumber?
There are many things that affect the seriousness of a clog in the plumbing. The info you have about a potential clog could lead a Age Heating & Cooling plumber to its source more quickly.
- Where is it? One of the most important aspects of a clog is where in your plumbing it appeared. Most of your home’s pipes are in tucked-away places like behind walls and under floors. Some clogs may need professional equipment to reach in the first place.
- Can water flow? If the pipes are still draining, you may be able to handle the clog on your own. But if a fixture or appliance is completely backed up, it’s usually safer for a certified plumber to take a look.
- What started the clog? Some substances can have a bigger effect on your plumbing. Simple organic waste like coffee or hair is unpleasant but typically easy to remove on your own. Other materials like sewage can be much more complicated (and maybe even risky). Removing these clogs will need more steps and the experience of a pro.
Where Can Clogs Form in My Plumbing System?
Unfortunately, there aren’t many places in your plumbing clogs can’t form. We rely on our plumbing for so many things like cleaning, cooking and laundry. A clog can appear near the appliances and fixtures we use or within the pipes themselves.
- Bathroom Clogs: Your toilet, sink and shower can all clog. If your bathroom drain is clogged, the culprit is usually hair. Taking care of a clogged sink drain, clogged tub drain or clogged shower drain can be as simple as removing the clogged hair. It’s fast, if a little gross. Other times, a hair-clogged drain can lead to a clogged drain deep in the pipe. In this instance, you may need professional help.
- Kitchen Clogs: Your kitchen sink and dishwasher are the most common places for a clog to start. Is your kitchen drain clogged? Use the garbage disposal properly to make sure food waste doesn’t collect. But if the disposal itself is clogged, don’t reach into it! The blades can be responsible for injury.
- Laundry and Clogs. Plumbing around the washing machine can clog, namely if lint traps aren’t working like they should. Other washing machine clogs can be caused by laundry soap and grease stains on clothes.
How to Clear a Clogged Drain
If it’s a simple clog, you may be able to tackle the problem by yourself. Unclogging doesn’t always need special equipment. In fact, sometimes it’s as straightforward as reaching for the plunger. Here are some tips for DIY drain maintenance!
- Mesh or mindfulness goes a long way. Using mesh filters or other traps for sink drains can keep foreign materials out of your plumbing. Keep an eye on what you’re bringing to your kitchen or bathroom sink. If it’s something that can clog, try to safely break it down.
- Know what shouldn’t be flushed. Things like baby wipes, cooking grease and potato peels aren’t supposed to go down the drain. Dispose of them properly to keep your plumbing in the best possible condition.
- Always try your trusty plunger. Even if a leak seems bad, your plunger is a simple and useful tool. Give your plunger a go before you get professional help.
- Other home remedies can help. Did you know there’s a clogged drain home remedy? You can try to unclog your drain with baking soda and vinegar. We don’t advise using store-bought liquid drain openers, since these toxic chemicals can harm your pipes.
Tried these tips but still have a problem? Call us at 208-578-4258 for quick and affordable drain cleaning in Sandpoint.
Call Age Heating & Cooling for Fast and Effective Plumbers in Sandpoint
Keeping your home’s plumbing in good condition is important to everyone at Age Heating & Cooling. Our plumbers are devoted to providing you with the best plumbing service in Sandpoint. If you need quality drain cleaning services, we’ve got you covered.
We have the tools and training to get the job done right. For pro plumbing services, call Age Heating & Cooling today. Get in touch to request more info or to schedule an appointment. Call us today at 208-578-4258!