According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts need to be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence how long your ducts can go without cleaning. How can you see if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some indications that you should keep in mind.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are completely opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear a sound other than your blower motor when you focus on the airflow?
3. Is there blockage inside your cold air return vent?
4. When you peek inside with a flashlight, do you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have bugs or rodents created a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns layered with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers blowing out dust?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it’s likely time to ask Age Heating & Cooling in Sandpoint about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are actions you can take to keep your ducts cleaner and extend the time between professional appointments.
Most importantly, schedule regular HVAC maintenance with the professionals at Age Heating & Cooling. A regular evaluation of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system operating at peak performance. Inspecting your system on a regular basis and replacing the air filter when required will also help keep your ducts clean.
More ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dirt in from spaces such as your attic.
• Check your air filters regularly and put in new filters when necessary.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your rooms.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in unsatisfactory or wet condition.
Keeping your ducts clean will help you make sure the air in your Sandpoint home is clean. Be sure to use these preventative steps and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Age Heating & Cooling at 208-578-4258 or arrange an appointment online.